The Platform Engineering team at Olo builds and supports our shared infrastructure and foundational services and libraries in support of all product engineering teams. They build automation and tooling to enable all Olo engineering teams to deploy and manage infrastructure for their services and applications. Olo embraces a true DevOps culture where product development teams are ultimately responsible for operation of their services and applications, and Platform Engineering provides them with the tools and expertise to support their systems. Platform Engineering is, in short, a force multiplier that simplifies operational tasks and enables our engineers to be self-sufficient and productive.
The scope of Platform Engineering at Olo includes infrastructure automation and tooling, systems, network and database administration, development of cross-cutting libraries and services, data infrastructure engineering, and site reliability engineering.
As Director, Platform Engineering, you will lead and support multiple teams as a manager of managers, but with the opportunity to set direction across all teams, grow existing teams, and build out new teams. This is a new role at Olo that will provide management support and focus for a key part of our team in their service to the rest of Olo Engineering. You will help establish your team’s vision, guide their execution, align priorities with the needs of the business, evolve processes in support of continuous improvement, drive stakeholder alignment, and coach and further develop those engineering managers who report to you. You will foster a culture of collaboration, communication, accountability, skill sharing, teamwork, mutual respect, and curiosity.
As a servant leader, your focus will be on facilitating successful team outcomes, hiring and developing engineering talent, and ensuring that we are delivering an exceptional service to Olo’s product engineering teams. Our ideal candidate has led a platform engineering team for a fast-growing SaaS product company managing large scale, highly available, distributed systems, and has demonstrated success in leading and building a high performance engineering team.
Our technology stack is rooted in .NET and SQL Server running in an AWS infrastructure, and we leverage modern software engineering tools such as GitHub, TeamCity, Octopus Deploy, Datadog, and Sumo Logic, as well as heavy use of OSS.
This is a full-time position. Candidates may work at Olo’s headquarters in New York City’s Financial District, or remotely from anywhere in the U.S. In fact, more than 75% of our engineering team is remote!
- Experience managing large scale, highly available, distributed systems in rapid growth environments
- At least 4 years of operations experience spanning administration of operating systems, networks, databases, and distributed systems as well as security operations and compliance, preferably in an AWS hosted infrastructure
- Experience building and/or managing a data engineering function
- Experience managing a 24x7 operations team, including incident response management
- Experience supporting software build/test/deploy/observability toolchains and automating infrastructure deployment
- Working understanding of Site Reliability Engineering principles, including working with Service Level Objectives and Indicators, managing error budgets, and building an observability culture
- At least 4 years of software development experience
- At least 5 years of engineering management experience under an Agile operational model, with 2 or more years in a manager-of-managers capacity
- Demonstrated ability to build and mentor a high performance team while seeking continuous improvement
- Ability to translate business priorities into viable technology or process solutions, and deliver
- Experience developing realistic project plans, managing stakeholder expectations, and tracking team execution
- Experience managing distributed teams consisting largely of remote engineers
- BS degree in a technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent English writing and verbal communication skills
- Legal right to work in the U.S.
Olo is the on-demand interface for the restaurant industry, powering digital ordering and delivery for over 300 restaurant brands. Olo’s enterprise-grade software powers every stage of the digital restaurant transaction, from fully-branded user interfaces to the back-of-house order management features that keep the kitchen running smoothly. Orders from Olo are injected seamlessly into existing restaurant systems to help brands capture demand from on-demand channels such as branded websites and apps, third-party marketplaces, social media channels, and personal assistant devices like the Amazon Echo. Olo is a pioneer in the industry, beginning with text message ordering on mobile feature phones in 2005. Today, millions of consumers use Olo to order ahead (SKIP THE LINE®) or get meals delivered from the restaurants they love. Customers include Applebee’s, Chili’s, Denny’s, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Jamba Juice, Noodles & Company, Red Robin, Shake Shack, sweetgreen, Wingstop, and more.
Olo’s office is located at One World Trade Center in Manhattan. We offer great benefits, such as 20 days of Paid Time Off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan, and perks like FitBits, rotating craft beers on tap in our kitchen, and food events featuring our clients' menu items (now you know why we give out FitBits!). Check out our culture map: https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg
We encourage you to apply!
At Olo, we know a diverse and inclusive team not only makes our products better, but our workplace better. Many groups are consistently underrepresented across the tech sector and we are fully committed in doing our part to move the needle.
Olo is an equal opportunity employer and diversity is highly valued at our company. All applicants receive consideration for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you like what you read, hear, and/or know about Olo, and want to be a part of our team, please do not hesitate to apply! We are excited to hear from you!